The Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL is a non-profit public entity, created to manage and regulate the different collections of biological samples collected at the Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge (HUB), at Duran i Reynals Hospital (ICO) and other associated centers, in accordance with current legislation (Law 14/2007, of July 3, about Biomedical Research, and RD 1716/2011, of November 18).
The Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL is authorized by the Directorate General for Health Planning and Research of the Department of Health of the Generalitat of Catalunya and is registered in the National Register of Biobanks of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III in accordance with the RD 1716/2011, which establishes the basic requirements for biomedical research biobanks authorization and operation, and the treatment of biological samples of human origin. The Biobank is part of the Red Nacional de Biobancos.
The Biobank is assigned to the Ethical Committee of Clinical Investigation (CEIC) of the Hospital de Bellvitge and to the External Scientific Committee (CCE) of the biobank (CCE Members: President: Dr. Joan Cid Vocals: Dr. Maria Ruiz, Dr. Xavier Sanjuan, Dr. Montse Gomà).
Activity and Goals
The activities of the Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL are to receive, process, store and distribute biological samples and their associated data for biomedical research, complying with technical and quality criteria, and guaranteeing ethical and legal requirements. Our main objectives are:
- To make available for the scientific community biological samples and their associated data contributing to the development of biomedical research knowledge of value.
- To manage and standardize the existing collections on the campus, and to create new ones according to the most outstanding lines of research at present.
- To promote quality and continuous improvement practices, complying at all times with the ethical and legal requirements.
Donors - Did you know that you can be a key element in the advances in biomedicine?
The 90% of biomedical research requires the use of human biological samples and its associated clinical data. After having done the diagnosis or treatment, the biological surplus samples are essential to better understand diseases, the development of new diagnoses, and treatments that improve the prognosis and contribute to the prevention of many of them. Biological samples can be solid tissues, obtained from biopsies or surgeries, or liquid tissues such as blood, urine or saliva obtained during the healthcare process. Each biological sample contains medical and personal associated information, which is known as clinical data, and is as important as the sample for research development.
If you decide to give your surplus biological material, it will be guarded by the Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL under the conditions and guarantees of quality and safety required by current legislation.
How can I donate my surplus diagnosis material?
The donation is anonymous, altruistic and voluntary. If you agree to make the donation, you can contact the health personnel requesting information or contact the Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL. After being duly informed, your willingness to donate will be reflected in the Informed Consent, which collects all the information about the conditions of the donation and guarantees your rights as a donor. At any time you may exercise your right to revoke the donation, in which case the sample and the associated data will be destroyed. In no case, this decision will not adversely affect the donor's assistance process. Revoking the donation can be done writing to email@example.com.
The Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL offers a wide catalog of services related to the processing, storage and management of samples.
Processing and cryopreservation services
- Sample reception
- DNA and RNA extraction
- PBMC isolation
- Plasma and serum processing
- OCT cuts
- Deposit and custody at -80 ° C
All Biobank procedures are realized by Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) established by biobanking organizations as Plataforma Red Nacional de Biobancos and ISBER.
Advisory, registration and custody service
- Creation and management of new collections
- Orientation in ethical and legal aspects
- Management and processing of the registration to the competent authority of the project, research line or biobank collections
- Advice on the coding and transport of biological samples
- Elaboration of informed consents
- Storage and traceability of samples from different collections
- Preparation of accreditation reports on quality policies
- Preparation of reports of historical temperature records
- Support for the search of samples in other national and international biobanks
Sample transfer service
- Reception of the requests
- Processing of documents to external committees (CCE and CEIC)
- Communication of the resolution to the applicant
- Elaboration and support in the documentation required
- Preparation and shipping of biological samples
- Ethical and legal aspects: to ensure respect for fundamental rights and freedoms, protection of the dignity and identity of the source subject, and the treatment of their personal data according to current regulations.
- Scientific Quality: to foster collaboration between different sample provider units and research groups as a guarantee of quality scientific policy.
- Management Quality: model ISO 9001, to consolidate quality levels that make Biobank a relevant and competent organization, and adopt continuous improvement as a fundamental line of work facilitating the fulfillment of the ISO 9001 standard.
- Equality: to promote equal opportunities and guarantee a work environment where staff can provide their full potential and be able to contribute to continuous improvement, regardless of race, gender, religion or disability.
- Social Responsibility: to support and respect the protection of internationally recognized fundamental human rights and apply internationally recognized criteria on social responsibility.
- 23 ultrafreezers (-80°C) with double-emergency system alarm.
- Room with security hish resistance shelves to store samples at room temperature.
- Vapour nitrogen tank (capacity 98.000 cryovials).
- Processing laboratory: biological safety cabinets, refrigerated centrifuges, microscope.
- Extraction robot Maxwell AS2000.
- Laser Microdisector LMD 7000 (Leica).