The Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL is a public, non-profit facility, created in order to manage and regulate the sample collections contained in the Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB), the Duran i Reynals Hospital (ICO) and other associated facilities in accordance with the current legislation (Law 14/2007 of July 3, and the RD 1716/2011, of 18 November).
The Biobank is located in the city of L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, south of Barcelona. Its facilities are distributed between the Bellvitge University Hospital (module next to the Pathology Department) and the Duran i Reynals Hospital (ICO Translational Research Laboratory 1).
Biobank HUB-ICO-IDIBELL has been authorized by the General Directorate of Planning and Health Research at the Health Department of the Generalitat de Catalunya in accordance with Real Decreto 1716/2011, of 18 November, on the basic requirements for authorization and operation of biobanks with biomedical research purposes and the treatment of human biological samples. The law regulates the function and organization atthe National Register of biobanks for Biomedical Research.
The facility is also registered in the National Biobank Register of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III of the panish Ministry of Health.
The Biobanc is funded by Instituto de Salud Carlos III.
Biobanc Internal Committee
- Isidre Ferrer –President
- JM Mechón – Vice-president
- Enric Condom – Responsible HUB Tumour Bank
- Berta Laquente- Responsible ICO Biobank
- Joan Torras- Responsible Nephro-Biobank
- Joana Visa – Quality Manager IDIBELL
- Yolanda Pérez - Biobank Coordinator
Scientific Advisory Board
- Victòria Cusí- Pathological Anatomy Department Hospital Sant Joan de Déu- President
- Miriam Cuatrecasas- Pathological Anatomy Department Hospital Clínic - Member
- Lluís Guirado- Renal Transplantation Fundació Puigvert- Member
- Joan Albanell- Medical Oncology Service, Hospital del Mar- Member
Clinical Research Ethical Committee (CEIC HUB)
The activities of HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank include receiving, preparation, storage and distribution of biological samples and associated data for biomedical research ensuring their compliance with technical and quality criteria and legal and ethical requirements.
Currently the HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank stores:
- More than 14,000 frozen blocks of brain
- More than 800 cases of brain in formalin
- More than 300 prion sample records
- More than 48,000 frozen tumour samples. Estimated annual growth of 3.000/4.000 samples.
- More than 5,700 frozen non-tumour samples (blood, bone marrow, urine, etc).
- More than 4,500 samples of lymphocytes and splenocytes from donors and renal transplant recipients.
Currently the HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank features:
- 12 vertical -80 °C deep freezers equipped with back-up system for CO2, remote control temperature with integrated Sirius in the general alarm system
- One horizontal -80 °C deep freezer for conservation and storing dry ice shipments.
- 3 heavy duty shelves for samples at room temperature
- 1 steam-phase nitrogen tank with capacity for 98,000 cryovials.
- Legal and ethical quality: ensuring respect for fundamental rights and liberties, protection of the dignity and identity of the source and treatment of personal data in accordance with current regulations.
- Scientific quality: promoting collaboration between different units and research groups sample providers as guarantee of quality scientific policy.
- Quality Management: ISO 9001 Model to strengthen quality standards to make the Biobank an establishment that can compete with the best and adopt continuous improvement as a fundamental line of work facilitating compliance with ISO 9001
- Equality: promote equal opportunities and ensure a work environment where staff can develop its full potential and be able to contribute to continuous improvement, regardless of race, gender, religion or disability.
- Social Responsibility: support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights and implementing internationally recognized standards on social responsibility
The HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank has an information management system (IMS), which will allow users access to updated information of the contained samples, according to the Law (Law 15/1999 of 13 December on the protection of personal data).
Personal data and associated clinical biological samples are part of Biobank file, registered in the Data Protection Agency under the responsibility of the Biomedical Research Institute of Bellvitge (IDIBELL).
The exercise of the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition of the data associated with the samples stored in the HUB-ICO-IDIBELL Biobank, should be requested in writing to the Biobank Scientific Direction by email or postal mail to the following address:
Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB)
Planta -1 Anatomía Patológica Feixa Llarga, s/n
08907 L’Hospitalet de Llobregat
Tel. 93 260 71 19
Tel. 93 260 71 19 (ext. 2077)
Isidre Ferrer Abizanda
Tel. 93 260 74 52
Tel: 93 260 71 19